Hosts Omaha Sternberg and Rob Benson talk about the Runic Games’ copyright infringement claim against EGLS, Valve’s Steam Greenlight, and Penny Arcade’s Kickstarter campaign. Plus, much more!
What’s inside this episode:
- Host Omaha Sternberg and co-host Rob Benson talk about the week’s news in Mac and iOS gaming. First, they talk about the Runic Games’ copyright infringement claim against Chinese Developer EGLS’ iOS game Armed Heroes Online. Runic Games’ boss Travis Baldree called foul when he stated that the art and sound asset files had been stolen from Torchlight, right down to the misspellings on the sound files. Baldree says that Runic’s lawyers are looking into the case, but as of this podcast post Apple has already yanked the game from the iTunes App Store.
- iGame Radio is the chief sponsor of the iPhoneAppCafe App Idol Contest! If you’ve got an app idea, you can get involved too. Just click on the App Idol button on the site and get started submitting your idea. You could win $1000 and the chance to get your app published.
- Valve has announced Steam Greenlight, which will let the community have a voice in deciding which games get released on Steam and allow developers to start building their audiences before they publish. Omaha and Rob discuss the pros and cons of the idea.
- Penny Arcade has begun a Kickstarter campaign to remove all ads from their site for a year. Some critics call foul, saying that this isn’t a real Kickstarter campaign. Omaha and Rob talk about what a Kickstarter campaign really means, and where this might fit in. Also, Omaha questions why critics are so civil towards the PA duo when the same claim was made towards Anita Sarkeesian, yet critics were anything but civil towards her.
- The PAX 10 list has been released. Omaha and Rob talk briefly about some of the games that you’ll see or hear about at PAX Prime this September.
- Omaha and Rob talk about games that have been announced and released the past couple of weeks, and the games that they have played.
- Digital Droo produced our theme music here at iGame Radio.